Recommend UsEmail this PageeGazetteAlislam.org
Police send Monas ambush suspects to city prosecutors
Indah Setiawati, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta
Police handed over suspects and their dossiers to the Jakarta Prosecutor’s Office on Thursday in the National Monument (Monas) ambush case, including Islam Defenders Front (FPI) leader Rizieq Shihab and Islam Troops Command (KLI) leader Munarman.
“The prosecutor’s office received ten suspects and case evidence from Jakarta police detectives at 11.30 a.m.,” spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office B.D. Nainggolan said in a statement released Thursday.
Police delivered a total of four dossiers for ten suspects involved in the case, he added.
The ten suspects were allegedly involved in the violent attack on activists from the National Alliance for the Freedom of Faith and Religion (AKKBB), rallying at Monas on June 1 to commemorate the 63rd anniversary of the inception of Indonesia’s Pancasila state ideology. Of the ten, some were suspected of orchestrating the violence.
Some 70 activists were injured during the Monas attack.
The rally was also held in support of Jamaah Ahmadiyah, a minority Islamic sect recently dubbed “heretical” by a government panel.
The government, through a joint ministerial decree, ordered Jamaah Ahmadiyah to cease all religious activities, including proselytizing, or face legal prosecution.
The ban was signed by Religious Affairs Minister Maftuh Basyuni, Home Minister Mardiyanto and Attorney General Hendarman Supandji.
Munarman and several other perpetrators went missing after police announced they would arrest the engineers of the ambush.
After the goverment ban was issued, Munarman surrendered at Jakarta police headquarters.
In the first dossier, Rizieq is charged with violating criminal code article 170 on ambush and article 156 on spreading hatred.
In the second dossier, M. Matsuny Kaloko, a leader of KLI – an FPI faction – is charged with violating criminal code article 160 on provocation, in addition to article 170 on ambush.
Munarman is charged in the third dossier with violating four articles of the criminal code: involvement in an ambush, causing damage, oppressive acts and provocation.
The other seven suspects – Agus Bambang, M. Subhan, Fahrurrozi, Sunarto, Taufik Hidayat, Raplin and Sudiran – are each charged in the fourth dossier with violating two articles of the criminal code, on ambush and oppressive acts.
A lawyer for FPI, Achmad Michdan, said the ten suspects were still in the custody of city police, even though their dossiers had been handed over to the Jakarta Prosecutor’s Office.
“The three leaders and seven FPI members are being detained at police headquarters. Their trial will be held at the Central Jakarta district court, as the incident took place at Monas in Central Jakarta,” he told The Jakarta Post.