Recommend UsEmail this PageeGazetteAlislam.org
Kontras accuses police of publicity stun
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: The Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (Kontras) fears a police move to name three police officers suspects in a planned attack on Ahmadiyah followers in Cikeusik was merely a ploy to shore up public support.
In February, a hard-line mob attacked Ahmadis in Cikeusik, Pandeglang, Banten, murdering three Ahmadis and seriously injuring several others.
“Suspects from the groups that took part in the attack should not have been named,” Kontras coordinator Haris Azhar said, adding that he feared the move was merely cosmetic.
Haris said that it would be unwise for the police to only publicly disclose the total number of suspects they had arrested without identifying the mastermind behind the incident.
“Don’t probe only those involved in the attack. The police must arrest those behind the attack,” he said.
The National Police on Friday named three Cikeusik Police officers suspects for negligence resulting in loss of life in the attack, a violation of the Criminal Code.
The police have so far named 12 suspects in the incident, as well as one Ahmadi.
The fallout from the incident has seen four high-ranking police officers removed from their posts while 37 Cikeusik and Pandeglang Police officers are also undergoing questioning in connection to the attack. — JP